Returning to India made sense: Madhuri Dixit

Madhuri Dixit Beauty Queen
Madhuri Dixit's Interview by "Indian Express"

Madhuri Dixit is between a million lists, packing up her 12-year life in Denver as she heads back home for good in mid-October. She takes time out for a quick chat about the big move and her career plans

What prompted the decision to move back to India with kids and husband in tow?
Well, we’ve been thinking about it. India is full of opportunities and I’ve been missing my roots. Also my kids, Arin and Ryan, who are eight and six, are just at the right stage. Both Ram (husband Sriram Nene) and I decided that if we have to take the decision, then it has to be now, otherwise the kids would find it tough to adjust. I want the kids to experience India’s rich culture. Moreover, my parents, who have been living with us, were keen to return. So as a family it made sense to take this decision.

How have the boys taken it? Are they excited about the transition?
They are looking forward but at the same time they have made friends here, so they don’t want to leave them. Just today my elder one was asking me if we could take his friends along! (laughs) I guess they have mixed feelings but both my kids are very friendly so I’m sure they will make new friends in Mumbai.

What will you miss the most about your life in Denver?
Yeah, well, I’ve been here for 12 years and also started my family here so there are so many memories. I’ll miss the city; it’s so beautiful and picturesque. All the four seasons are beautiful here. Of course I’ll miss my house and garden. In Mumbai, where do we get such big houses? But the house will always be here and we can always come back for holidays. The world is becoming smaller and travel is becoming easier so we’ll keep coming back.  


So how is the packing going on?
(Laughs) Oh yes, the packing is the most dreadful exercise. More than being physically taxing, it also takes an emotional toll because every little thing has some memory attached to it and you want to do everything properly. It’s a huge undertaking, we are going through a million lists.

What about your husband, has he decided where he’ll be working?
There are a lot of things on Ram’s mind as of now. Right now, we just want to focus on making the move as comfortable as we can for our parents and kids. There are many offers for Ram but he is not in any hurry. He wants to come down here, meet people and then take a call.

So is it safe to presume that you’ll take up your acting career from where you left it? Will you be back at work full time?
You know, for me, the kids will always be my priority. I’ll work my schedule around them. The most important thing is that they should settle in and Ram should be comfortable and then I’ll decide about my projects. There are so many decisions to be taken and I feel I’ll be better off once I’m physically in Mumbai. I have to see what makes me comfortable without compromising on my family’s needs.  

But you have signed on for Vishal Bhardwaj’s Ishqiya sequel, Dedh Ishqiya?
Well, I’ve not signed on the dotted line. I’ll only be able to tell you when it’s on paper. I still have to make a decision regarding the script. Let’s see. 

What about the remake of Satte Pe Satta with Sanjay Dutt?
That was just speculation. Like I said, I haven’t signed anything on paper yet.
But you are continuing your association with Jhalak Dikhla Ja on Sony Entertainment Television?
Yes, we are talking about it. We are working out the dates.
What are your current impressions about Bollywood?
I think it’s the best time, the most interesting phase of our industry. The lines between commercial and parallel cinema don’t exist anymore. Today, film-makers can experiment with any kind of subject and if it’s pitched correctly then the audience will surely watch it. There is place for everyone and for all kinds of stories. The audience taste has matured a lot.
Do you think the shelf life of a female actor has also increased? And that marriage is no longer considered a career pack-up since you, Sridevi, Karisma Kapoor, Raveena Tandon, Kajol and Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan are all acting?
Frankly, I have never believed that marriage meant career pack up for heroines. It was always the heroine’s choice. Those who wanted to act, did so and those who didn’t, decided not to. Today, things are more professional. People like to be occupied creatively. When you give so many years of your life to your career then it’s okay to continue. If you want to do something for yourself or the happiness of your fans then it’s great. Look at the society we live in, the attitudes are changing, the role of a woman has become important so cinema is also going to reflect that. There’s still a lot to do for the ladies.
Finally, your dancing: still going on?
Yeah yeah. That can’t stop. Ever.
 

[via: Indian Express]

Comments